Black News Alerts

WarnerMedia Merging with Discovery in Multi-Billion Dollar Deal

todayMay 18, 2021 2

Background
share close

The deal will combine two “treasure troves of content,” such as HBO Max, CNN, and Discovery+, among others.

What We Know:

  • On Monday morning, AT&T and Discovery Inc. announced they would merge to create a standalone media company. Discovery Chief Executive Officer (CEO) David Zaslav will spearhead the new venture, and new AT&T CEO John Stankey will hold a “key leadership role.”

 “I think we fit together like a glove,” Zaslav boasted at a virtual press conference.

  • The spin-off will allow AT&T to prioritize its broadband business and reduce its debt. AT&T would receive $43 billion (subject to adjustment) from cash, debt securities, and WarnerMedia’s debt retention. In addition, Zaslav reported the new company would start with $55 billion in debt.
  • CNN writes the news is seen as AT&T surrendering after attempting to combine content and distribution. The company wanted to create a streaming service to compete with Netflix and Disney+. They also declared that earlier this year, the company struck a deal to fix DirecTV at a significant loss from 2015’s purchase price. At Monday’s virtual press conference, AT&T confirmed they would exit the business industry.

“This agreement unites two entertainment leaders with complementary content strengths, and positions the new company to be one of the leading global direct-to-consumer streaming platforms,” said Stankey.

  • The arrangement came together after Zaslav sent Stankey an email on February 13. The two men began a conversation about the future of media and eventually started meeting in person to negotiate the deal’s terms. Discovery, Inc. and AT&T board members agreed to the merger this weekend.
  • Under the contract’s agreement, AT&T shareholders will obtain $43 billion in cash, debt securities, and debt retention. They will additionally gain a 71% stake in the new establishment. Discovery investors will keep the remaining 29%.
  • After the deal closes in 2022, the new company will be second only to Disney. Discovery expects estimated revenues of $52 billion and adjusted earnings before interest, tax, depreciation, and amortization of $14 billion in 2023 for the streaming device. Furthermore, it will have an enterprise value of around $132 billion, including the aforementioned debt and expected annual synergies of approximately $3 billion.

Zaslav mentioned the streaming service, whose name is to be released in the next week, will prioritize storytelling, journalism, and creative talent.

The post WarnerMedia Merging with Discovery in Multi-Billion Dollar Deal appeared first on Black News Alerts.

Written by: blacknewsalerts

Rate it

Previous post

Entertainment

Students Jailed After Using App Glitch To Get Over £20,000 Worth Of Free KFC

Several Chinese students have been arrested after one of them successfully exploited a bug in KFC’s software, granting them free food. via Complex: One of the students—named only as ‘Xu’—was able to scam the fried chicken behemoth via the KFC app after finding a glitch in their online ordering system. The glitch meant that, for six months, Xu was able to manipulate a promotional voucher system to the sound of […]

todayMay 18, 2021 1


Similar posts

0%